Study Questions - Freudian & Humanistic Theories
Obviously one must hold oneself responsible for the evil impulses of one's dreams. In what other way can one deal with them? Unless the content of the dream rightly understood is inspired by alien spirits, it is part of my own being. - Sigmund Freud
1. Sheryl wears sexy cloths but claims to be a feminist. How would Freud explain that?
2. How would Freud's theory explain why you are neat & outspoken while your sister is messy & demanding & feels inferior?
3. Which factors in the development of your personality support Freud's theory & which do not?
4. How would humanistic theories explain why many students change their majors three to five times during their college careers?
5. Carl says that he has always been shy and it can't be helped. Would a Freudian respond to Carl's problem in the same way as a cognitive behaviorist?
Topics in Psychology
Robert C. Gates