Ψ Practice Test for
Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit exams . Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the practice tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. Saul admits that he conforms so as to be liked by others. This is known as
2. According to the text, in which of the following has groupthink
been known to occur?
3. Many businesses now require their employees to work in teams,
believing that a group of four to five employees will accomplish more than four to five individuals working alone. This is an example of what concept?
4. Marie was approached by her neighbor asking her to adopt two to three kittens
that where abandoned by their mother. While Maria refused to take three kittens,
she did agree to adopt just one. What compliance technique did her neighbor use
5. Which of the following people would probably not be a prime candidate for
membership in a cult?
6. Follow-up studies to Stanley Milgram's research have suggested that a teacher's willingness to deliver potentially lethal shocks may be more a product of__________
7. The public services messages that encourage parents to sit down with their children and talk frankly about drugs are promoting which method of attitude formation?
8. Researchers have found that a _________ degree of fear in a message makes it more effective,
particularly when its combined with __________.
9. Sandy was a juror in the trial for a man accused of stealing guns from a sporting
goods store. The defendant was not very well spoken and came from a very poor
background, but Sandy listened carefully to the evidence presented and made her
decision based on that. Sandy was using __________ processing.
10. Which of the following should LaSonda avoid if she wants to reduce cognitive dissonance?
11. Gerard goes to a job interview dressed in
patched blue jeans, a torn T-shirt, and sandals. His hair is uncombed and he hasn't shaved in a few days. Obviously, Gerald knows nothing about
12. If behavior is assumed to be caused by external characteristics, this is know as
13. Thomas likes to "hang with the
guys." These people with whom Thomas identifies most strongly with are called a(n)
14. The "Robber's Cave" experiment showed the value of __________ in combating prejudice.
15. Vivian and Steve met at work. At first they were just friends, but over time, they
found themselves falling in love - or as Vivian tells her friends, "Steve just grew on me!" According to research in interpersonal attraction, the most likely explanation for their attraction is
16. According to Sternberg, a couple whose love is based off of intimacy and passion
but who are not committed to a long-term relationship are in the form of love
called __________ love.
17. The concept that aggression results from a social role is based on what
18. To which two processes do most social psychologists attribute the failure of those around La Sandra Calloway to help her.
19. Cara knows that she can help people simply by dialing 1-1-1 on her cell phone if an emergency arises. Which step in the decision process for helping would Cara be at?
20. Which of the following would the field of social neuroscience be most likely to study?
Robert C. Gates
We are no other than a moving row
Of Magic Shadow-shapes that come and go
Round with the Sun-illumin'd Lantern held
In Midnight by the Master of the Show;
- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam