Ψ Practice Test for
Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on exams . Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the practice tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. Cara is going to a therapist to gain a better understanding of why she has self-destructive relationships with all of her friends. This type of therapy is known as __________ therapy.
2. The hidden meaning of a dream is the __________ content,
according to Freud.
3. Through the use of __________ a person-centered therapist conveys they are trying
to understand the experience of the person they are working with.
4. What differentiates motivational interviewing from person-centered therapy?
5. Which of the following clients would probably get the least benefit from a humanistic therapy?
6. To overcome her fear of balloons, because of the loud sound they might suddenly make should they pop, Bella must sit in a room filled with balloons while the therapist continuously pops each one. After a while, Bella realizes that her fear is unjustified and begins to pop balloons herself. This technique is known as
7. Megan's daughter Kayla was afraid of dogs. Megan took Kayla to a therapist to help her overcome her fear but was surprised when the therapist brought a dog into the room. At first Kayla was asked to watch from across the room as the therapist showed her how to approach and pet the dog and not grab its tail. Eventually Kayla was asked to come over and mimic the behavior she had observed. After a few sessions, Kayla was no longer fearful of dogs. What technique did the therapist use with Kayla?
8. Maria sat down with her daughter Zoe, and together wrote out a list of things Zoe was expected to do each day and the rewards she would get if she accomplished them, as well as the penalties she would face if she did not do them. This is most like which technique?
9. For both children and adults, and for many undesirable behaviors, the use of __________ or some form of "time-out" can be quite effective.
10. Stephan gets a text message from his
girlfriend saying that she will have to work overtime tonight. Stephan immediately assumes his girlfriend is seeing someone else at work. Beck would say that Stephan has engaged in what type of distorted thinking?
11. Devin's wife comes home angry from her job, and he immediately assumes he has done something wrong. Such
irrational thinking is an example of
12. Latanya tends to blow negative events out of proportion to their importance (magnification) while ignoring relevant positive events (minimization). What therapeutic technique may work best to help Latanya?
13. Which therapy style requires the therapist to
actively confront client's irrational believes?
14. Family therapy is a form of group therapy in which
15. Dr. Phelps uses an eclectic approach to her work as a therapist, what
is she doing?
16. With regard to treatment of psychological disorders, many
psychological professionals believe medications work best in combination with
17. Typical antipsychotic drugs work by blocking what neurotransmitter?
18. Bradley has been on an antipsychotic drug for many years to
control his schizophrenia. He has developed repetitive, involuntary jerks and movements of the face, lips, legs, and body. These side effects make up a syndrome known as
19. As part of the medical treatment trail she is participating in for
severe and suicidal depression, Kierra was given ___________, which is being investigated due to its seemingly immediate,
although short-term effects.
20. In bilateral anterior cingulotomy
Robert C. Gates
Strange, is it not? that of the myriads who
Before us pass'd the door of Darkness through
Not one returns to tell us of the Road,
Which to discover we must travel too.
- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam