Ψ Practice Test for
Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect be included on tests. Exam questions may deal with topics not covered in the
practice tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for tests. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. John B. Watson’s famous experiment with Little Albert was designed to show that:
fear of rats is almost natural & may be inborn
emotional problems can be viewed as learned behavior
psychological problems affect babies as well as children & adults
ethical standards of psychological research are much more stringent today
2. Verbal interaction between therapist & client, a supportive relationship, & analysis of the client’s experiences are the three characteristics of:
3. The phenothiazines are effective in reducing schizophrenic symptoms by:
increasing the effects of dopamine
reducing the size of brain ventricles
blocking or reducing the effects of hormones
blocking or reducing the effects of dopamine
4. The discovery of antipsychotic drugs led directly to:
the reform movement
the community mental health center
5. An eclectic approach to psychotherapy involves using techniques that are:
unique to a particular therapist
beneficial to a small number of patients only
borrowed from a number of different approaches
determined by the personality of a particular therapist
6. Meta-analysis is a procedure used to:
determine the effectiveness of some treatment across many studies
help the patient become aware of & understand the causes of
his or her problem
identify which mental patients should be deinstitutionalized, & which
gradually expose a patient to a feared object while simultaneously
7. In a typical therapy session, the role of the analyst illustrates all the following assumptions of psychoanalysis except:
schedules of reinforcement
8. Freud believed that ________ represented the purest form of free association.
9. Many clients have the temporary experience of falling in love with their therapists. Freud would consider such feelings an example of:
10. Which of the following is an example of resistance?
explaining irrational beliefs
having a sexually explicit dream
showing up late for a therapy session
revealing unconscious thoughts during free association
11. Of the following Freudian concepts, which has been tested & found to be valid?
id as source of energy
basic drives limited to sex & aggression
role of the Oedipus complex in personality development
12. The central assumption of Carl Rogers’ client-centered therapy is that:
therapy should focus on real behavior, not vague thoughts & feelings
we must struggle to overcome our basic human selfishness & hostility
psychotherapy must be freely available in community mental health centers
each person has the tendency & capacity to develop to his or her full potential
13. Which of the following is not one of the three therapist characteristics that Rogers believed would facilitate change in clients?
14. In his cognitive therapy, Beck attempts to make clients aware of:
the importance of education in the contemporary world
how much better they could be if they would just “think about it”
adaptive thought patterns like open-mindedness, acceptance, love,
& will power
maladaptive thought patterns like overgeneralization, polarized thinking,
& selective attention
15. Which of the following mental disorders is most effectively treated by cognitive therapy?
antisocial personality disorder
borderline personality disorder
16. Behavior therapy or behavior modification differs from the insight therapies in that the therapist:
encourages the client to free-associate
repeats or reflects what the client says
identifies the specific problem & discusses a program for change
discusses the client’s tendency to automatically think negative thoughts
17. Systematic desensitization involves a step approach. Which of the following is not among the steps?
awareness of negative thoughts
stimulus hierarchy construction
18. In systematic desensitization, when the client is gradually exposed to the actual situations that are feared, this is called:
in vivo exposure
in vitro exposure
en passe exposure
19. What approach to therapy focuses on changing thought patterns by learning new skills?
short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy
20. According to research, _______ is the most effective form of treatment for most disorders.
there is very little difference in effectiveness among the treatments
• Print Friendly Version
Robert C. Gates
Ah Love! could you and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
Would not we shatter it to bits---and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!
from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam