Ψ Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions on Chapter 21. The questions are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit exam seven. You can, in fact, expect to see many of these very same questions on that exam. Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the self tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. The idea that intelligence is a single entity has been
• suggested only recently.
3. Fluid intelligence includes
6. Which characterizes crystallized intelligence?
7. On the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, verbal IQ ______
8. Analytic intelligence is particularly valued in
9. Creative thinking requires
10. Which of Stenburg's 3 aspects of intelligence could be
called "street smarts"?
11. When adults are evaluated on finding effective solutions,
12. Who described eight distinct intelligences, each with its own network in the brain?
13. Of the following intelligences, which is least valued by middle aged adults?
14. Early studies of adult intelligence led to the false conclusion
is most significantly affected by experience, such as war trauma.
is plastic and variable, and may either decrease or increase.
increases slowly during the 20s & early 30s, and decline thereafter.
peaks at ~18, remains stable until the mid 20s, and declines thereafter.
15. Research that analyzes the cognitive development of the same individuals over the years is called
16. Schaie's case studies indicated that
17. For a typical middle-aged adult intelligence increases
18. In his or her area, an expert is more likely than a novice to
rely on formal procedures to solve a problem.
experiment or deviate from the usual way of doing things.
give conscious attention to all aspects of performance.
verbalize exactly how results are achieved.
19. The importance of leisure time is that it provides
20. In the poem about life in middle age the word triage means
Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates