Ψ Social Psychology &
the Sustainable Future
An environmental call to action.
Ψ Do something green.
Enabling sustainable living.
• New technologies
The social psychology of materialism & wealth.
• There is increase materialism.
• Are rich countries happier? - Yes, but only up to but not much pass the point where
basic needs are satisfied.
• Are rich people happier? - In poor countries, yes; in richer ones, not
• Does economic growth improve human morale? - Studies suggest "no."
• Materialism Fails to Satisfy because of the adaptation-level phenomenon & social comparison produces a sense of relative deprivation.
• Towards Sustainability & Survival:
• Face the implications of population & consumption growth.
• Realize the materialist values (consumerism) make for less happy lives.
• Identify the important things in life that matter more than money.
Maintain close, supportive relationships.
• Remember that membership in faith communities & voluntary organizations make
for supportive networks.
• Develop positive thinking habits (optimism, self-esteem, perceived
• Find the "flow" (absorption in an activity) .
Robert C. Gates
Why not let people differ about their answers to the great mysteries of the Universe? Let each seek one's own way to the highest, to one's own sense of supreme loyalty in life, one's ideal of life. Let each philosophy, each world-view bring forth its truth and beauty to a larger perspective, that people may grow in vision, stature and dedication."
- Algernon Black