Ψ A child with special needs: A child for whom learning new skills and developing friendships are hampered by a psychological or physical disorder.
Ψ ADHD- (Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) a behavior problem characterized by excessive activity, an inability to concentrate, & impulsive, sometimes aggressive behavior.
- ADHD can occur with or without hyperactivity.
- ADHD children are prone to aggression, anxiety, & depression.
- Antisocial behavior can follow from childhood aggression if the disorder is not treated.
- Medication, psychological therapy, and changes in the family & school environments can all help children with ADHD .
- Psychoactive drugs are NOT a cure; children need help overcoming their confused perception of the social world; this can be done through family & individual therapy plus changes in the home or school environment.
Life-span developmental research finds that childhood problems rarely disappear; their lifelong legacy depends on the specifics of the home & school contexts.