Ψ Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain & allow us to enjoy pleasure instead. We must therefore accept it without complaint when they sometimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces. - Sigmund Freud -
1. What are the 3 main elements of the scientific study of development?
2. What are the 5 characteristics of the life-span perspective?
3. How might the historical context differ for someone born in 1908 as compared to 2008?
4. What are 3 socioeconomic factors that constitute SES, & how might each affect development?
5. What are the differences among culture, ethnicity, & race?
6. What are the steps in the scientific method?
7. What are the advantages & disadvantages of observational research?
8. What are the advantages & disadvantages of experimental research?
9. Compare the uses of longitudinal & cross-sectional research. How are the advantages of each method combined in cross-sequential research?
10. What is the advantage of the ecological systems approach?
11. What is the main focus of the study of human development?
Sample answer: The main focus of the study of human development is to explore how & why people change, and how & why they remain the same.
12. How does the life-span perspective apply to the study of childhood or adolescence?
Sample answer: It views human development at any age as an ongoing process.
13. What are the pros & cons of qualitative research? Quantitative research?
14. Name & describe three domains into which the study of human development is often divided.
Biosocial domain The part of human development that include physical growth & development as well as the family, community, & cultural factors that affect growth & development.
Cognitive domain The part of human development that includes all the mental processes, through which the individual thinks, learns, & communicates, plus the institutions involved in learning & communicating.
Psychosocial domain The part of human development that includes emotions, personality characteristics, & relationships with other people - family, friends, lovers, and strangers. This domain also includes the larger community and the culture.
Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates