Ψ Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions on Chapter 15 & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit five. You can, in fact, expect to see many of these very same questions on that exam. Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the self tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. Piaget characterizes adolescent reasoning as
10. The optimum person-environment fit is based on
11. The term "imaginary audience" refers to an adolescent's
fantasy that everyone is constantly attending to their behavior & appearance.
belief that others are constantly spying on them.
constant posing & posturing.
ability to understand how others perceive them.
12. Adolescents typically
13. A volatile mismatch occurs between
14. Compared to elementary teachers, students believe most secondary teachers are more
15. With competitive learning
students are ranked against each other on individual performance.
students are separated into groups based on ability.
students are encouraged to work together.
the goal is to understand the material.
16. Researchers find that group learning
17. The main determinant to college enrollment by an adolescent is
18. Adolescents usually find employment
19. A big problem with sexual commitment in adolescence is
20. Teenagers may become pregnant because, they
21. Adolescents need protection from poor judgments because:
22. To keep a realistic perspective on adolescent behavior, it is good to know that more than ___ of all teenagers reach age 20 alive & in good health.
23. The ability to analyze & the ability to reach conclusions that are intuitive lead adolescents toward:
24. Part of the reason adolescents won't use hypothetical-deductive reasoning although they can is because:
25. Unlike individuals who possess formal operational thought, those who have only concrete operational thought would have trouble arguing;
26. At what age in humans is a "self-serving bias" present?
27. Intuitive thinking;
28. Which of the following is necessary for cognitive development?
29. School sex education programs help teens;
help find appropriate partners.
understand what it means to be sexually active.
gain experience with concrete operational thinking.
practice with the emotional expression that reflects their intuitive thinking.
Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates
Obviously one must hold oneself responsible for the evil impulses of one's dreams. In what other way can one deal with them? Unless the content of the dream rightly understood is inspired by alien spirits, it is part of my own being.
- Sigmund Freud