Ψ Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions on Chapter 25 & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit exam eight. You can, in fact, expect to see many of these very same questions on that exam. Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the self tests or in lectures but are
discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. Self theories emphasize
2. Erikson called the final crisis of development
integrity versus despair.
generatively versus stagnation.
activity versus disengagement.
optimization versus compensation.
3. Re: Whitbourne, the process of maintaining identity involves
growth & change.
identity & role confusion.
optimization & compensation.
assimilation & accommodation.
4. Selective optimization with compensation
is a part of psychoanalytic theory.
was first emphasized by Freud & Erikson.
states that people in late adulthood set their own goals & access their own abilities.
states that in late adulthood, people must continue to do everything they have always done.
5. In recent years self theories have received confirmation from
critical race theory.
6. When opportunities are based on age, it is
7. The antithesis of disengagement theory is
8. Critical race theory sees race as
no longer a barrier to success.
a problem that disappears with age.
a social construct.
9. According to continuity theory, the big 5 personality traits
change in middle & late adulthood.
are maintained throughout old age.
suddenly change after age 60.
follow no predictable pattern.
10. Self theories echo
social stratification theories.
epigenetic systems theories.
critical race theories.
11. Most retirees stop working because of
heart disease or senility.
job loss due to layoffs.
12. Most frail elderly americans hope to
keep on living independently.
extend life as long as possible.
live with their children.
live in a nursing home.
13. The term "social convoy" refers to the truism that
he who travels fastest travels alone.
we travel through life in the company of others.
it is not healthy to spend time alone.
we need a strong leader in times of war.
14. Who would most likely be healthiest & happiest at 70?
Ruth, who never married & lives alone.
Emma, who lives with her husband.
Ed, who is a widower, not remarried.
Kim, who is divorced, and lives with her grandchildren.
15. Today, most never married adults are
in need of supervision.
pitied or ridiculed.
happy & active.
immature or selfish.
16. Divorce in late adulthood
usually occurs before the 50th anniversary.
the longer a person is divorced, the less happy she or he is.
creates loss of identity as great as that caused by the death of a spouse.
is more common when couples have no children.
17. During late adulthood, it is likely that
unmarried women have only female friends.
unmarried men have only male friends.
men have more friends than women.
women having only relatives as closest friends.
18. The relationship between siblings is
19. Which of the following is an IADL (Instrumental Activity of Daily Life)?
20. Most elder abuse is done by
health care providers.
nursing home workers
• Print Friendly Version
Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."
- Mahatma Gandhi