Practice Test for The First Two Years: Psychosocial Development
Ψ Note: These questions are part of a larger data base of questions on Chapter 7 & are selected to represent the type of question you should expect on unit two. You can, in fact, expect to see many of these very same questions on that exam. Exam questions, however, may deal with topics not covered in the self tests or in lectures but are discussed in your textbook. You are responsible for the content of your text book plus the content of lectures, interactive activities, & material on the web site.
Use these sample questions to test yourself & to practice for the test. Click on your choice to see if you are right.
1. Conflict between siblings is most likely to occur for which reason?
2. Separation anxiety is strongest about:
3. Compared to mothers, fathers are likely to make their infants
4. Baby Rose is showing surprise. Accordingly, she could most probably
5. According to traditional learning theory personality is:
molded by parents.
due to nature.
resident in the unconscious mind.
6. At Lilly's first birthday party, she expressed all of the following
joy when she saw the beautiful cake with candles.
shame when she wet her diaper during a rousing chorus of
anger when her older brother kept playing with her brand-new toys.
wariness when a couple of relatives she hadn't met came up and
7. Freud & Erikson agree on the:
importance of early weaning.
importance of early experience.
need for a permissive environment.
need for parents to stimulate their child.
8. Which two theories have had the greatest influence on the concept
Behavioral and Piagetian
Psychoanalytic and ethology
Piagetian and psychoanalytic
Ethology and behavioral
9. Infant day care is of high quality if caregivers emphasize:
a variety of caregivers through out the day.
10. Kimberly shows definite signs of object permanence; we might expect that she should also begin to show
11. Which temperament category is most common in young infants?
12. In reference to the "Big Five" personality traits, openness refers to
13. The most critical element in determining synchrony is:
14. An enduring emotional connection between people is known as.
15. In the "strange situation" a sign of secure attachment is
crying and not being comforted when mother returns.
ignoring mother when she returns.
smiling at mother when she returns.
reluctance to leave mother to play with new toys.
16. Newborns have two identifiable emotions:
distress & contentment.
shame & stress.
pride & guilt.
anger & joy.
17. Synchrony begins to appear at:
18. A key difference between temperament & personality is that:
temperament traits are learned.
personality is more stable than temperament.
personality includes traits that are primarily learned.
personality does not begin to form until much later,
when self-awareness emerges.
19. Secure attachment is directly correlated with the promotion of:
all of these!
20. The attachment pattern marked by anxiety & uncertainty is;
21. Weaning is to the oral stage as ________ is to anal stage.
22. Which of the following factors are traits within the "Big Five?"
Lifespan Growth & Development|
Robert C. Gates
I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.
- Sigmund Freud